Friday, June 4, 2010

How important is job title or designation? - Answered

Last week, through my blog, I asked "How important is job title or designation?". I am glad that it's been answered.

Cindy Tokumitsu from Accepted.com has written an elaborated post in response of this question.

Below mentioned is one way to demonstrate your career growth when there is no title change.

Title1, Role 3 (start date - end date)
. bullet point
. bullet point

Title1, Role 2 (start date - end date)
. bullet point
. bullet point

Title1, Role 1 (start date - end date)
. bullet point
. bullet point

Generally in sample resumes, I've seen only Titles mentioned but never seen any Roles appended to them. So, can we use this format? Yes, because I got it approved by 3 experts:
Cindy Tokumitsu, Accepted.com;
Caroline Clough, ClearAdmit;
Kevin, ClearAdmit

Thanks all!

I'm building my resume on this format, and so could you :-)

Hope to help,
A

4 comments:

  1. Hey A !!. I have a query. Same Job/ Role/Work profile. Just that Title changes as per Org Promotion very recently. In that case, do you have any idea how to embed the same in the resume. Because ultimately the bullet points is going to be the very same right, since the promotion is recent. Any thoughts ??. I got to dig more on that. Just came across this post, so wanted to know if you have come across the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi S-AK, I'm no expert but will try to answer in my limits.

    If your title has changed recently, you can give the description of that title in brief and leave the bullet points under this title empty for now, and when you'll approch the application submission, you could fill that space with accomplishments you wud made by then.

    And, your role shows career progression. If you are in the same role, this might be considered as no career progression at all, even if your title has been changed. So, try to show higher roles and responsibilities as you moved up in the ladder.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work, i like your blog theme, and content ofcourse
    mba india

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and suggestions. I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails